Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Savory Steak and Sweet Potato Soup

We were having record snowfall last month when I made this soup, it sounded like just the ticket. I got this recipe out of A Great Bowl of Soup.






Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound round steak. cut into 1/2 inch cubes patted dry
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
  • 1 medium Spanish onion chopped
  • 3 1/2 cups beef stock
  • 2 cups shredded sweet potato
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • salt to taste
  • paprika to garnish
Directions
Combine the pepper and sage. Coat the beef with 1 tsp. olive oil. rub the pepper-sage mixture into the beef. Heat the remaining tsp. of oil in a 6-quart pot. Add beef and onions and saute until the beef is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the stock, sweet potato, and wine. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in peas ans simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste and garnish with paprika if desired.


Results
Let me start off by saying this soup tastes really good. However, it doesn't really look that appealing, kinda like a bowl of brown mushy stuff. Right off the bat I'd change this to use cubed rather than shredded sweet potatoes, and I'd roast them and add them at the end with the peas. It would give it more body and look nicer. Plus I really hated shredding these damn things, it took forever and I cut myself twice! If I were making this in the fall, I'd also use fresh peas rather than frozen.

Nutritional Information
6 servings
Calories: 181
Fat. Total: 5g
Carbohydrates, Total: 14g
Cholesterol: 37mg
Sodium: 213mg
Fiber: 1g
Fat, Saturated: 1g
Weight Watcher Points: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment